San Francisco, CA, United States
Member for 4 years, 5 months
I met my first computer more than 35 years ago -- a DEC PDP-11/70 -- and I've been working with them ever since. Much of my career has been spent in the HP3000 world but these days I mostly work with Linux systems. I have worked in a number of languages -- COBOL, Powerhouse, Perl, PHP, Visual BASIC, to name a few -- but the important part was always developing functional software that let the users accomplish their tasks as efficiently as possible regardless of the tools used. User interface design and usability are of particular interest to me.
My communication skills are well-developed -- I have worked as a professional writer -- and I have a knack for interpreting what users want and translating their needs and desires into technical requirements. While I am a nerd of the highest order (I collect vintage computers, even!), I also speak "user".
When I'm not working, I'm wrangling my three kids -- all of them talented, smart, and stunningly good looking. I am the president of the Atari Bay Area Computer Users Society (ABACUS) and on the board of directors of the Friends of the Company, a non-profit supporting the Young People's Teen Musical Theatre Company. I have long fought and continue to fight for civil rights for all and full acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community.
I am a Land Rover Owner and love the wilderness. I am also a San Francisco Native and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Music is incredibly important to me and I own thousands of albums of all genres. I have run a successful Kickstarter campaign. I have performed with the San Francisco Opera and the San Francisco Symphony. I take a lot of pictures. I'm a good cook. I put footnotes in facebook posts.
- English Language & Usage 10.2k 10.2k 11 gold badge2424 silver badges5151 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 484 484 44 silver badges1111 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 439 439 44 silver badges66 bronze badges
- Area 51 151 151 22 bronze badges
- Raspberry Pi 131 131 44 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 88 A person who has a hard time throwing away unnecessary things
- 55 Can ‘is’ and ‘are’ be used in the same sentence? ‘The conclusion is both are harmful.’
- 28 Is 'stakehold' (used as a noun) an acceptable word, even though no major dictionary lists it?
- 26 Word that means married but also includes pre-marriage relationship?
- 25 What word describes a person who gains the trust of people on behalf of an adversary?
- 24 A single word for "moved around a lot"?
- 22 Word for "abrupt stop"
- View more network posts →