I'm a retired English grammarian. I enjoy answering questions.
- My Website at the University of Michigan
- Complete Publications and Lectures
- My alt.usage.english English Grammar pages
- Details and handouts from some recent talks
- A term paper about K-12 Language Science
- Two old coursepacks from my Intro Ling class (each ~100 pp)
- Scanned teaching materials from my Etymology class
Member for 7 years, 3 months
10 profile views
Last seen Dec 25 '20 at 23:33
- English Language & Usage 93.6k 93.6k 99 gold badges145145 silver badges397397 bronze badges
- Linguistics 9.1k 9.1k 11 gold badge2727 silver badges4444 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 2.5k 2.5k 1010 silver badges2020 bronze badges
- Writing 181 181 55 bronze badges
- Mathematics 101 101 22 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 125 What's wrong with "I'll open you the door"?
- 89 Why can't the word "can" be used in future tense (will can)?
- 85 Why do we refer to computers and other machines as being up or down?
- 78 What is the difference between an Emperor and a King?
- 78 I <verb> and am <rest of sentence>
- 63 Was "book" to "beek" as "foot" is to "feet"?
- 60 Why is the subject omitted in sentences like "Thought you'd never ask"?
- View more network posts →