A freelance translator, born and living in Russia. Male, born in May 1978. My native language is Russian.
Why 'Copper Kettle'? Because it's a great song, especially the version sung by Joan Baez.
Why 'Cowper'? Because William Cowper.
A user quipped in a comment to my post about Cowper's poem that I should rename myself CowperKettle from CopperKettle, and I did.
"Nothing more true than not to trust your senses; And yet what are your other evidences?"
To read up:
- True Light Verb vs. Vague Action Verb
- aspect - In English the perfect construction does not express perfective aspect; that is expressed by the simple past form. The name perfect for the HAVE+past participle construction is a misleading historical accident.
- PEU 90 - be with auxiliary do (CGEL: "lexical be"; Quirk et al - ? )
- NICE auxiliaries criteria: negation, inversion, emphasis and code.
- Quirk et al. p.839 - optative mood
- I doubt this (all) the more - the as modifier or adverb
- Depictive secondary predicates vs. Depictive adjuncts
- A rectangle is not a circle --> It is not a rectangle a circle (dislocation, extraposition).
Yekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Russia
Member for 7 years, 6 months
34 profile views
Last seen Sep 15 '20 at 2:09
- English Language Learners 37k 37k 1313 gold badges108108 silver badges208208 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 3.4k 3.4k 11 gold badge1919 silver badges4646 bronze badges
- Chemistry 2.9k 2.9k 77 gold badges3131 silver badges4949 bronze badges
- Literature 2.3k 2.3k 44 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- Politics 1.5k 1.5k 11 gold badge99 silver badges99 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 200 What can an independent election observer in Russia do if they notice irregularities?
- 60 "A boiled egg in the morning is really hard to beat" - explain the pun please
- 59 A chart of daily cases of COVID-19 in a Russian region looks suspiciously level to me - is this so from the statistics viewpoint?
- 43 "I hate red color" or "I hate red": why exactly is the first option ungrammatical
- 42 What are "industrial chops"?
- 37 Does the notion of check word exist in English?
- 35 Why is pyrimidine less basic than pyridine?
- View more network posts →