The last time I checked it, the number of visits per day reported by the Area 51 page was 227. Is there anything we can do to increase it, since the minimum acceptable seems to be more than 500?
There are a couple ways to increase the number of visits:
- Ask really great questions!
- These show up in the Hot Questions list, attracting attention (and visits) from Stack Excahnge users on other sites. Since these users are already familiar with how the site works (albeit not the specifics of this particular site - yet), they are good to have on the site
- Well-written, useful, and common questions are more likely to show up in Google (and Bing, Yahoo, etc.) searches, bringing in more traffic and potential new users. The eventual goal is for most of the site's traffic to come from search engines
- Share Questions and Answers!
- Click the "share" link under a particularly great post, and share the link with people you know (email lists, Facebook, Twitter, other Stack Exchange sites, etc.). Make sure it's relevant to the topic at hand, so it doesn't get ignored or viewed as spam.
- Visit the site every day
- Read posts and vote.
- Ask any questions you come up with, and answer any questions you can (feeds back into the first bullet)
I think part of the problem stems from our sister site ELU (https://english.stackexchange.com/).
I barely, if ever, see a question from ELU redirected to ELL. Their FAQ also makes no reference of ELL either. There's even a header in ELU's FAQ that's literally called "Where can I find answers to simple and basic questions?" where ELL would be a perfect fit.
I think this whole situation is somewhat odd, ELU is not for questions from people beginning to learn the English language, in fact questions by those people is somewhat frowned upon. However, I do not see much effort put into it to redirect those questions to the proper site.
I agree with shadowmanwkp, In my opinion more question are closed on ELU everyday because of being too basic, than total questions posted on ELL. So we should ask the people, who close vote the questions on ELU, that they should migrate it to ELL instead(That is if the question satisfies the criterion of ELL).
This will help filter up the content of ELU and crank up the traffic of ELL.