I'm hard-pressed trying to find out what we really want our tags to be. Do we want them to make our search easier? Do we want to summarize our question with them, although this is explicitly discouraged in other SEs? What do we want them to do?
The reason I ask this, is that we have many, many bad tags. Good tags are rare, and seldom get applied to questions.
Please keep your answers objective. We're going to refine the tagging system and general-but-nice remarks aren't what we need here. Please boil your answers down to comments on what you'd expect tags to be/do the categories below:
- Whether if 'experts on x should make sense.
- Whether if we need (a few) meta tags
- How clear we want the tag name to be
- How technical the tag name should be
- Whether if we want tag scopes so large that would cover a few thousand questions or if we want small scopes that would cover no more than a hundred questions
- Whether if the tag should be an extra hand in searching or not
- What should be put in the tag wiki
- So on. / anything else?